FULL CHARGE BOOKKEEPER
Edify’s mission is improving and expanding sustainable, Christ-centered education globally. Edify is a non-profit organization registered in the U.S. since 2009 and now has operations in Burkina Faso, the Dominican Republic, Ghana, Guatemala, Uganda, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Peru, Northeast India, and Rwanda.
Learn more at www.edify.org
Position Start Date: December 1, 2019
Location: San Diego, CA
Reports To: Accounting Manager
Salary Range: Competitive (based on experience)
Benefits: Competitive medical and dental benefits and PTO
Job Type: Full Time
We are looking for a top performing, high functioning Full Charge Bookkeeper that will thrive in a challenging, fast-paced, innovative and empowering mission focused work environment. This full-time position will be based in Edify’s US headquarters in San Diego and report directly to the Edify Accounting Manager. Full charge bookkeepers are responsible for full-cycle accounting, which requires an ability to juggle several organizational tasks at once. A full charge bookkeeper typically must have extensive experience with payroll, financial statements, bank reconciliation, and general bookkeeping. The job is extremely hands-on and detail-oriented, bearing much responsibility, so a bookkeeper must be responsible and self-reliant. The role involves daily communication with international staff as well as collaboration with various departments within the US headquarters. The ability to communicate clearly, define problems distinctly, collect data accurately, establish reliable facts, and draw valid conclusions is crucial for this role. We are looking for someone with a strong work ethic, desire to serve others, good time management skills, excellent attention to detail, good analytical and problem solving skills, sound understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and good overall, written, and verbal communication skills.
• Compile and analyze financial information to make bookkeeping entries into QuickBooks
• Prepare and maintain the General Ledger including vendor bills, journal entries, proper account and project coding, functional allocations
• Monthly reconciliation of company bank accounts
• Daily communication with domestic and international staff as necessary in performance of primary responsibilities
• Fixed asset accounting and annual equipment inventory
• Prepare for fiscal year-end audit
• Assist in preparation of informational tax returns and other government filings
• Research discrepancies of financial information and/or documentation to ensure accuracy and adhering to established procedures prior to processing
• Support various domestic and international team members and give general accounting guidance
• Work with international microfinance and training partners as assigned to assemble, compile and analyze financial reports
• Support a culture that constantly pursues excellence, emphasizes strong documentation, innovation, and improved efficiency
• Perform other accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as may be required from time to time
• Passion for the mission of Edify
• High degree of character and integrity
• A minimum 5 years of multi-faceted accounting experience
• Strong Excel skills
• Ability to read and effectively analyze financial statements
• Mathematical competency
• Strong work ethic and sense of urgency
• Ability to focus and stay organized
• Strong analytical, communication and research skills
• The ability to interact professionally regarding confidential matters with people inside and outside the organization.
• Ability to take direction and work independently on assigned tasks
• Desire to advance within the organization
• Non-profit experience and/or experience working with international staff or vendors
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
• Currency exchange rate calculations
• Budgeting and cost accounting
• Experience using Quickbooks
• Project and enterprise level profit and loss analysis
• Third party audits
• Loan portfolio analysis and loan repayment schedules
• Speak Spanish and/or French
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.