Edify’s mission is improving and expanding sustainable, Christ-centered education globally. Edify is a non-profit organization registered in the U.S. since 2009 and now has operations in Burkina Faso, the Dominican Republic, Ghana, Guatemala, Uganda, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Peru, Northeast India, and Rwanda.
Learn more at www.edify.org
Location: San Diego, CA
Reports To: Accounting Manager
Salary Range: Competitive (based on experience)
Benefits: Competitive medical and dental benefits and PTO
Job Type: Full Time
We are looking for a top performing, high functioning Staff Accountant that will thrive in a challenging, fast-paced, innovative and empowering mission focused work environment. This full-time position will be based in Edify’s US headquarters in San Diego and report directly to the Edify Accounting Manager. The position will have primary responsibility for the full accounting function such as bookkeeping in QuickBooks, general ledger, accounts payable, fixed asset schedules, prepaid expense reconciliations, project cost accounting, functional allocations, bank reconciliations, follow internal controls, research and reconcile discrepancies, gather, audit, verify and archive supporting financial documents. The Staff Accountant will also assist in preparing for annual audits (internal and external) and in preparing informational tax returns and donor receipts for tax deductions. This person will have a strong work ethic, desire to serve others, good time management skills, excellent attention to detail, good analytical and problem solving skills, sound understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and good overall, written, and verbal communication skills.
• Compile and analyze financial information to make bookkeeping entries into QuickBooks
• Prepare and maintain the General Ledger including vendor bills, journal entries, proper account and project coding, functional allocations
• Monthly reconciliation of company bank accounts
• Daily communication with domestic and international staff as necessary in performance of primary responsibilities
• Fixed asset accounting and annual equipment inventory
• Prepare for fiscal year-end audit
• Assist in preparation of informational tax returns and other government filings
• Research discrepancies of financial information and/or documentation to ensure accuracy and adhering to established procedures prior to processing
• Support various domestic and international team members and give general accounting guidance
• Work with international microfinance and training partners as assigned to assemble, compile and analyze financial reports
• Support a culture that constantly pursues excellence, emphasizes strong documentation, innovation, and improved efficiency
• Perform other accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as may be required from time to time
• Passion for the mission of Edify
• High degree of character and integrity
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
• A minimum 1-2 years of multi-faceted accounting experience
• Strong Excel skills
• Ability to read and effectively analyze financial statements
• Mathematical competency
• Strong work ethic and sense of urgency
• Ability to focus and stay organized
• Strong analytical, communication and research skills
• The ability to interact professionally regarding confidential matters with people inside and outside the organization.
• Ability to take direction and work independently on assigned tasks
• Desire to advance within the organization
• Non-profit experience and/or experience working with international staff or vendors
• Currency exchange rate calculations
• Budgeting and cost accounting
• Experience using Quickbooks
• Project and enterprise level profit and loss analysis
• Third party audits
• Loan portfolio analysis and loan repayment schedules
• Speak Spanish and/or French
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.